Strafford, NH

Dog Licenses are due by April 30th every year!


        townclerkdogpic.jpg - 5.05 kb      


Renew your dog licenses online! 
Go to the home page on this site and click on the RED PAYONLINE button at the top of the page. 

**If using a smartphone or tablet please go to TOWN SERVICES option under MENU to pay online**




Tractor Supply Co.


Shot Vet – RiteAid

Cocheco Valley Humane Society


Dog License FAQs 

I just brought home a puppy.  When does he need to be registered? 

State Law, RSA 466:1 requires (Please see below for RSA 466:1) that puppies must be licensed promptly after their first rabies inoculation.


How often does my dog need to be registered?                 

RSA 466:1 requires that all dogs be licensed EACH YEAR between January 1st and April 30th. 


How will I know when it's time to license my dog? 

It is every dog owner's responsibility to license their dog between January 1st and April 30th of each year.   The Town Clerk's Office will send you a reminder notice before April 30th via U.S. postal service or email.


Is there a grace period for registering my dog?

To avoid late fees, please license your dog before May 31st (which includes a 30 day grace period). 


I've forgotten to register my dog.  What are the late fees?

Beginning June 1, all unlicensed dogs are assessed an additional late fee of $1.00 per month.


If I don't license my dog, what will happen? 

Each year, the Town Clerk's Office is required to give a list of all unlicensed dogs to the Strafford Police Department.  At that time, a $25.00 summons is issued for each unlicensed dog.

What are the fees for licensing my dog?

Dog Licensing Fees

Basic License Fee

Male or Female - Unaltered


Spayed/Neutered Dog


1st Dog owned by a Senior Citizen (65+)


Puppies (3-7 months)


Group/Kennel licenses (5+ dogs)


Do I have to come to the town office to license my dog? 

You may come to the Town Hall or license your dogs by mail or license your dogs online.  To license your dogs online, go to the "home" page on this site and click on the large red "online payments" button.

 What do I need to do to pay for my dog's license by mail?

  1. Make a check payable to the STRAFFORD TOWN CLERK for the appropriate amount indicated by the list of fees above.  If you are unsure of the amount to send, please call the Town Clerk's office at (603) 664-2192, x102.
  2. Please specify your name and the dog's name.
  3. Supply a copy of your dog's UPDATED Rabies Certificate.  This is necessary only if your dog's rabies vaccine has expired.
  4. Send a self-addressed stamped envelope.
  5. Please indicate your date of birth for verification of the senior citizen discount.

If I come to the Town Hall for my dog license, what do I need to bring?

Local veterinarians forward their rabies certificates to the Town Clerk's office.  If you are a current resident and/or have a local vet, all you need to bring is the licensing fee.  If you are a new resident or have recently adopted a pet from an animal shelter, you will need to bring a copy of your rabies certificate with you.  If in doubt, bring the certificate - it may save you an extra trip.

 I still have questions.  What do I do?

Please call Christine Bane - Strafford Town Clerk at 603-664-2192 ext.102.  Click here for the Town Clerk's hours.

RSA 466:1

Every owner or keeper of a dog 4 months old or over shall annually, cause it to be registered, numbered, described, and licensed for one year in the office of the clerk of the city or town in which the dog is kept, and shall cause it to wear around its neck a collar to which shall be attached a metal tag with the following information thereon: the name of the city or town, year of issue of license and its registered number.  The tag and license shall be furnished by the clerk at the expense of the city or town.  Regardless of when the license is obtained, the license shall be effective from May 1 of each year to April 30 of the subsequent year.

RSA 466:1-a

Before a license is issued under the provisions of this subdivision, the owner or keeper of a dog shall furnish to the clerk verification from the licensed veterinarian that the dog has been vaccinated against rabies in accordance with the provisions of RSA 436.  Persons applying for a group license under RSA 466:6 shall also furnish to the clerk verification from a licensed veterinarian that the dogs have been vaccinated against rabies in accordance with RSA 436.

Notwithstanding paragraph I, if a valid rabies certificate is on file with the clerk in accordance with RSA 436:102, the owner shall not be required to produce such verification at time of licensure.