Drivers Privacy Act: NH RSA 260:14 establishes that DMV records are confidential.
Photo ID Required: NH RSA 261:148 requires a valid ID be presented for ALL in person motor vehicle transactions.
*Proof of residency is required for new residents to title and/or register vehicles in Strafford for the first time or if returning after claiming residency elsewhere. This is done IN PERSON at the Town Clerk’s Office.
Registrations can be renewed in person, online or by mail. (New Residents – See Above)
- In person: Bring the expiring registration or the renewal letter. (You may renew a vehicle for someone else but you must bring the expiring registration or renewal letter along with your ID. See Drivers Privacy Act above.)
- If online, you must have your PIN number (from your renewal letter) or plate # and last 4 digits of VIN#. Pay Online Here
- If by mail, send the renewal letter, along with one check made out to the “Strafford Town Clerk” for the total of your transaction to PO Box 169, Strafford, NH 03884. Be sure to include a self addressed, stamped envelope or a $1 mailing fee.
TITLE AND REGISTER A NEWLY OWNED VEHICLE
Newly owned vehicles are titled and registered in person at the Town Clerk’s Office. (New Residents – See Above)
NH DMV Plate Information HERE
Vehicles 2000 and newer:
- Title Application completed by a licensed NH dealer.
- If this is a private sale or out of state dealer, a current Title
signed by sellers and buyers. All buyers must be present for a private sale title unless there is a notarized Power of Attorney Form. (Example of POA Form)
Vehicles 1999 and older:
- VIN Verification by one of the following:
VIN Verification Form(TDMV19A) Form Here
Copy of a prior title
Copy of prior registration
- Bill of sale (Information required on a Bill of Sale)
NH 20 Day Temporary Plates for private sales are issued at the DMV ONLY. See Information Here.
Plate transfers are done in person at the Town Clerk’s Office.
- Transfers must keep the same primary name.
- Current registration from prior vehicle. This must be the ORIGINAL registration. If you do not have the current original registration, there will be a charge of $18 for a validated copy.
Motorcycles are titled and registered the same as vehicles. See above.
Moped 50cc and under: Initial registration is handled with the DMV then renewals can be done as usual at the Town Clerk’s Office. Mopeds are not titled in NH.
Trailers are titled and registered the same as vehicles. See above.
Except that trailers with GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) of 3000 pounds or less are title exempt and just need a VIN Verification and Bill of Sale to register.
Vehicles can be titled in a trust name. Owners name can still appear first on the registration as a trustee. This will keep your registration and inspection renewal the same as your birth month.
- TITLE(s) signed over to the trust.
- Legal Document with Trust Name and Trustees signatures. (usually 1st & last page)
- Current Odometer reading
- Current registration
You may apply for a plate change in person at the Town Clerk’s Office at anytime. The charge is $11 (plus any specialty plate charges) and $18 for a replacement registration. However, if a plate change is done at renewal time you will only pay the $11 (plus any specialty plate charges) and yearly renewal fees. For a plate change done at renewal time you will not pay the additional $18 for a replacement registration.
REPLACEMENT REGISTRATION, DECALS OR PLATES
- Duplicate Registration: If your current registration was lost or destroyed, you may apply for a duplicate registration in person at the Town Clerk’s Office. There is an $18 charge.
- Replacement Decals: If your decals were lost or destroyed, you may apply for replacement decals in person at the Town Clerk’s Office. There is a $4 charge. You must turn in the current validated registration. If you do not have the current validated registration you will have to apply for a duplicate. (See above)
- Plate Replacement: If your plate(s) were lost or destroyed you may apply for replacement plates in person at the Town Clerk’s Office. There is a charge of $7 for one plate or $11 for two plates. You must turn in the current validated registration. If you do not have the current validated registration you will have to apply for a duplicate. (See above)
If your NH Title was lost or destroyed, you may apply for a duplicate title with the NH DMV.
Duplicate Title Application Here
If you have more questions contact the Town Clerk’s Office.